Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hiking Elk Mountain


Knowing that I had the next day off, I asked my dad to join me on a hike. He agreed, and I eventually decided that we would conquer the 800m elevation gain of Elk Mountain. Not having hiked Elk for years, all that I remembered was that the trail went up, up, up. So, up, up, up we went.

I know that some people call Elk Mountain ‘Chilliwack’s answer to the Grouse Grind’, and I would have to agree with them. Don’t let this nickname scare you however. The hike is perfect for a hot summer’s day as the majority of the trail is hidden from the sun by the trees. As the trail steepens do not be discouraged. The sweat you will pay to Elk Mountain will be rewarded. Once you begin to near the top, views of the Fraser Valley are offered to you as teasers of what is to come and also serve as motivation to continue your hike. The summit in the alpine meadows is 1,400m and rewards you with stunning views of the City of Chilliwack and surrounding farm lands, Slesse Mountain, Cultus Lake, and Harrison Lake.

The lack of a gondola for the descent is not a problem as you will be rejuvenated from the views you have absorbed atop the mountain. And, if you still crave more fresh mountain air, you can always carry on on to Thurston Mountain (1,630m).

Although our legs were stiff the next day, my dad and I both agreed that this hike is what the “Great Outside” is all about.

Jessica H. - Chilliwack

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments with us.