Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My perfect day trip from Chilliwack

Here is my recipe for a perfect day trip from Chilliwack...in addition to the obvious ingredient of sunshine; my recipe includes walking through tunnels, traversing the mighty Fraser River via a tram, hopping over train tracks, and picnicking in the middle of an old bridge.

My day began with a drive from Chilliwack to Coquihalla Canyon Provincial Park in Hope. Having lived in Chilliwack since I was three and never visiting the Othello Tunnels, I figured it was about time that I took a walk through history. The abandoned railway tunnels are all amazing engineering achievements dating back to 1911. The railway line, which opened in 1916, was only operational until 1959. The tunnels that remain, however, provide a spectacular setting for a leisurely walk or bike ride.


After my walk through the tunnels, I took the Trans-Canada Highway from Hope to Hell’s Gate, which is past the towns of Yale and Spuzzum. The drive up the Fraser Canyon took me through four more tunnels before I boarded the tram and rose 150m above the narrowest part of the Fraser River. The view was spectacular! Once I crossed over Hell’s Gate I found many things and activities to occupy me. The fisheries exhibit and video were very informative, the fudge I purchased was delicious and I was able to consume it while admiring the Fraser River, the history of Hell’s Gate provided was very interesting, and the locations to pose for photos were endless.



Following my return tram trip, I headed back south down the Trans-Canada Highway until I reached Alexandra Bridge. I grabbed my lunch, jumped out of the car, walked down the trail, hopped over some train tracks, continued down the trail, and sat down in the middle of the bridge for a picnic lunch. The bridge was originally built in 1863 but was replaced in 1926. It has not been in used by vehicles since 1964, which, was great for me, as I did not have to worry about having my lunch interrupted and the only ‘noise’ I had to endure was from the rushing water of the Fraser River.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments with us.